Jackie Lopez aka Miss Funk is a first generation Los Angeles native. She was the first in her family to graduate high school, continue her education in LA Valley College, transfer to a UC and graduate, all due to the impact of the arts and dance in her life. Jackie graduated Summa Cum Laude from UCLA in 2004 from the Department of World Arts and Cultures, with a concentration in Dance. For the last 20 years, Jackie has been working as a professional dancer, choreographer, teaching artist and cultural educator who has worked with students and artists of all ages from LA, NYC, Philly, Israel, United Kingdom, France, Colombia and India.
Jackie is the Co-Founder/Co-Artistic Director of Versa-Style Dance Company (a certified 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization). Versa-Style’s mission is two-fold; it’s a professional hip-hop touring company providing dancers from the inner city to thrive as full dance professionals, while also providing Hip-hop arts programing to the youth in underserved communities in Los Angeles. Jackie has created a pipeline in which many first generation students have benefited both artistically and academically. Furthermore, she’s currently Lecturer at UCLA’s Dept. of World Arts and Cultures/Dance teaching Hip-hop dance.
Simultaneously, she is the Executive Director for The Flourish Foundation, which is non-profit private philanthropic organization, which begun as a response to lack of funding in the arts. Most recently, she joined the USC team, as Visiting Lecturer for the Spring 2018 Arts Leadership Program.
Miss Funk found love for street dance since the late 90’s and she has continued to serve the community of Hip-hop dance for over 20 years. Some of her accomplishments and victories:
• First Latina/Woman to teach Hip-hop dance and build the Hip-hop curriculum at the University of Los Angeles (UCLA) since 2009
• First Latina/Woman to teach Hip-hop dance at Los Angeles Valley College
• Lester Horton Artist Appreciation Award presented by the Dance Resource Center in Los Angeles
Jackie aka Miss Funk has gained respect by entering and judging several prestigious battle events, such as:
- All Styles Judge for Freestyle Session Los Angeles 2015 & 2018
- Popping Judge for Ladies of Hip-hop NYC 2015
- Crew Champions with Versa-Style Dance Company - The Week Hip-hop International Dance Festival USA Qualifiers 2016
This speaker's sessions: